What a great message to put out there and how hypocritical of Instagram. Now, I do understand how this works. Instagram doesn't have millions of employees who check out photos and decide what should be removed or not. They probably have some type of filter and if they get more than "x number" of reports, then they take the photo down.
I don't think there is any other way to do that for them considering the millions of photos being uploaded.
But that is beside the point. This fantastic woman is right on! What a great role model for all of us and really, the examples are so true. There are so many overly sexy photos of bare asses on Instagram and fitness women in tiny shorts to show off their asses after 2 years of squats and lifting weights or what not and then a lovely soft arse gets tagged as inappropriate?
Jesus. I know we are living in a looks obsessed society, but come on!
On a similar note, I was watching a program about pornography the other day on ITV I believe. It was investigating the impact that pornography has on the younger generation, the ones who have grown up with smart phones and have access to hardcore porn. They interviewed a ton of teenagers and early tweens and it is what I expected:
The young women said the following:
- Boys expect that they are completely shaven
- Boys expect anal sex
- Boys expect that they can ejaculate in their face
- Boys think threesomes are normal.
- Orgasms? Of course. Multiples please. Even for a 15 year old.
- Girls were shocked when they didn't have this amazing orgasm during their first time.
- One girl, who's boyfriend was into rape type porn, ended up being actually violated and raped by him. She said they both got their "sex ed" from porn and she didn't really realize what was happening to her, except that the porn he watched was getting darker and darker and more violent and so was her sex life.
Other stories were equally disturbing. Like the 19 year old, who had been working his sex drive out by myself with porn since he was 11, who simply could not achieve an orgasm with a woman's vagina because he was so used to his own hand.....I am sure he can work on that.
Ok. This is going way off topic and should have been a separate post, but what all of this has in common is the picture of perfection and expectation this content creates. Looks or behavior and the effect that has on people.
I mean, if you watch US television? EVERY PERSON ON EARTH HAS STRAIGHT WHITER THAN WHITE TEETH. What pressure. My teeth were never that white and even when I was a teenager and said to my dentist that my teeth look dirty, he took out this little chart of colours and explained that my teeth are simply that colour and that I wasn't born with white teeth. Shocking.
I have frank conversations with the teenage men in my life. And one message is:
1. Unless you get paid for it, let's just assume that NO woman likes a man to ejaculate in her face. Just assume that and you are fine.
2. Porn stars are porn stars. They are actors. Women come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Some shave, some don't. Some wax, some don't. Embrace all of it and you will have a better time in life. Also: orgasms can be faked. Assume that most of the ones in a porn movie are fake. That's a realistic starting point.
3. Anal? Seriously. Please master the front door first in all its glory and be open to exploring whatever it is you desire, but this is all about communicating with your partner and not expecting anything.
4. Threesomes? Jesus, let's refer to 3 again.
I know. This went to hell in a hand basket quickly...but you get it, my possums.